How to find lost android phone is one of the questions that many users ask me a lot. People android phone keeps getting stolen on day to day basis. Many people forget their android phone at some place and they don’t remember it. Many people hand their android phone to someone else at a party or a function then they forget about their phone until they realize that the phone is lost. Android is one of the most used operating system around the world. There are thousands of people whose android phone gets stolen daily. They don’t know how to find it. The last resort for them is to complain to police regarding the same.
The hard reset can be done on an android phone very easily. It’s very easy for a thief to stole and hard reset it which will delete all your apps and data. It will make android phone easy to use and you won’t be able to track. Police can track the phone using IMEI number once a new sim is inserted. You can’t track using any app that you installed. The hard reset can’t be done on iPhone and iPad that easily as it required to enter your Apple ID password to do it. That’s why many people prefer iPhone.
The Android phone can be found using apps and without apps as well. It will be really hard to find android phone if you don’t know the right method at the right time. The problem can increase if you never signed in your phone using Google account. You will get frustrated searching where is my phone or find my android with no good results beside android device manager website which requires Google sign in of the phone. Google’s android device manager is the first method that is recommended by me to most of you guys who have signed into phone using Google account.
Android phone can be tracked by with the help of a tracking app. You can also track android phone using in built features of Android which doesn’t require any app. It simply means you can find android phone without using tracking app. Both the methods will be explained below.
To Track Your iPhone/iPad : How to Find iPhone/iPad using Find My iPhone App?
Let’s have a look on apps and methods to find android phone:
1. Android Device Manager (Find My Device)
Android device manager is the official tool through which you can find android phone within seconds. You can track android phone to its nearest location. You need to login to android device managers website using Google account through which you signed in to phone. Once you sign in then you can choose your android device. You will be able to track or locate it on a map and perform number of functions such as wipe, loud ring or lock remotely. Location on the map is one of the good features of this tool that people like. It will show you the best possible recent location of android phone on the map. The only requirement is that your android phone should be connected to the internet.
Below mentioned requirements should be met before you can track your android phone using this method:
- Android phone must be connected to a Google account.
- It must be connected to the Internet. It can’t be tracked without Internet.
- Android device manager must have been enabled on Android phone. (ON by default)
You can follow the below steps if above mentioned conditions are satisfied:
- Sign in to Google’s Android Device Manager.
- You can see all your active devices inside the dashboard.
- Choose your lost android phone. Google will now try to connect and show you its location on the map. It will also give you 3 main actions to preform remotely on your device. The location is not exact but near to it.
- Ring, Lock and erase are 3 options provided by Google which can be performed remotely on your device using Android device manager.
- If you lost your phone inside the house or office then you can use the RING option or watch the location on the map to figure out the location of your phone. RING option inside the home or office is best.
- If it’s stolen then you should try to contact authorities to take it back from the thief.
Apple’s iCloud find my iPhone offers some better features than android device manager. It offers direction to reach your phone. You can actually follow step by step direction to reach your iPhone/iPad. The above method to track your phone can also be applied to Android tablets of all brands such as Samsung, HCL, Acer, Dell, Sony etc…
Android device manager can also be accessed from an app. You can download the Android Device Manager App from the Goole play store in case you don’t have a laptop with you. Take your friends phone and download the app, sign in and track android phone immediately.
In case your Android device isn’t connected to internet then it will be hard to track it via Android device manager website or app. You should wait for the phone to be connected to internet.
2. Track Android via Google Maps Location History
Google maps is yet another great tool to know the location of your android phone. Google maps keeps the history of android device location. You can have a look at those history locations to find out the location of your android phone. You can track phone using latest location available on Google Maps history. Even if the location isn’t accurate then also you will come to know the best possible location of the android device.
Below mentioned things are required for the above thing to work:
- Android Device must be signed in to a Google Account.
- Internet access is must in the lost/stolen device.
- Location reporting and history features must be enabled in Google app settings on Android phone. Without it, Google maps won’t track anything.
If above conditions are satisfied then you can use Google maps history location. Basically Google maps is used If you satisfy the above criteria then you can Google maps location history. It’s not actually used for tracking down your mobile but its used to locate your lost phone as well as to see the previous locations of your android device. Follow the steps below to use it :
- Visit Google Maps Location History.
- Click on todays date.
- Tap on “Show timestamps” just below the calendar.
- Now you will be able to see different locations where device was present.
- Click on the latest timestamp to see the last available location of the android device.
You can easily track your android phone using these timestamps. You can also let the authorities do the needful by sharing this information to them.
AirDroid is a great alternative that offers great features when compared to android device manager. There are many other features that are present only in Airdroid which will make your search easy. Install the Airdroid from play store to check out all the features.
AirDroid can do many things remotely. You can upload documents and pictures remotely from your phone on the web. The thief will never know about it. You can retrieve those documents online from anywhere once you upload it. Not many apps offer such facility. This functionality is offered only on AirDroid.
Here are some great features offered by AirDroid:
- Upload most important documents and photos on the web from your AirDroid account before you erase android phone.
- You can take real time pics from camera. You can use both front and rear cam to see or take photos. It will also let you know about the thief and location. You can click the pictures and save it in your pc.
- Screenshot function is also there in AirDroid. It can help you identify thief in case of stolen android phone.
- Airdroid is available for free as well as $20 paid version. Paid version offers more functionality than free one. Check the official website for more info.
Family locator is an awesome app developed by Life360 team. If your family members have family locator installed on their android phones then you can easily track them using family locator app. The best part is that if one of your family member loses his/her phone then youcan track android phone using this app. You can easily know the location provided internet connection is present in the lost phone. Family locator is a very good people finding app rather than tracking app.
Family locator app lacks advanced features because it’s not developed as anti-theft app. It’s one of the best apps for parents who wants to keep a track of their children location. You can download family locator on both android devices. It will help you keep track of smartphone location 24/365.
McAfee is a very popular name across the world as antivirus. Mcafee also provides many security features for your smartphone as well. You can try the Mcafee security trial for 7 days however you have to take $30/year subscription. It will give you full anti-theft protection and anti-virus protection plus data backup. Mcafee is totally trusted company and you should try their anti-theft product atleast once. It will keep your phone very safe. You can easily find its location and do more advanced function remotely.
6. Kaspersky Mobile Security for Android
Kaspersky is also very popular for anti virus features. It also provides mobile security app that provides many functions such as remote lock, wipe, ring, GPS tracking etc… You can also block messages and unwanted calls using the Kaspersky mobile security. Hidden feature is also present in this app that will help you hide certain features and information from friends and family members. Kaspersky mobile security can easily track down your android phone. Try it and you will never search where is my phone on Google.
You can also check out below given anti-theft app which are quite popular among people. These apps must be preinstalled on your android phone in order to track them down. Ratings of these apps are really good. You must have already heard few of these names which are also popular on PC.
Bitdefender anti-theft is one of the most popular app available on Google play. It functions just like ADMs app but does few more advanced things. Below are some of the functions of the bitdefender security app:
- You will be notified on alternate number if someone changes the SIM of your phone.
- You can SMS on your phone to make force call you on a given number.
- You can force android phone to pick up your next call in this app.
- You can lock and wipe all phone data in a single click via this app.
Bitdefender anti-theft app is free only for 30 days. You have to subscribe for its annual subscription. As it’s a trusted app with many features, you can try and go for annual subscription.
Cerberus is a good anti-theft app that gives many unique features to track down your phone. It’s free for first 7 days and then you can get it for $2.99 from the play store. You can opt for cerberus anti-theft app by giving one time fee because it’s loaded with many advanced features which are not found on any other app.
Here are some of the good features of this Cerberus app :
- App icon can be hidden so that thief will never know that it’s installed.
- List of calls made can be retrieved from the phone which will help you figure out the thief.
- Microphone can be turned on. It will help you figure out the location and person having your phone by listening to the sounds from android phone.
It’s one of the oldest android tracking app on Google play store. It has number of advanced functions that will help you out in tracking and location your android phone. Most of the features in the lookout app are free but you have to pay little amount to pay for advanced features. You can try it out.
Below are some features provided by the lookout app:
- Email notification will be received when phone is switched off.
- Email notification will be received when SIM card will be changed on your android phone.
- You can click pics from camera remotely.
- You will continue to get emails for many other changes made by thief on your android phone.
It’s a totally free app just like android device manager app. You can access prey services on your laptop as well. Here are some of the functions being offered by the Prey app:
- It can activate loud alarm remotely.
- You can sent custom message on your phone remotely. It can help people to return your phone at specified address.
- You can locate, lock and wipe android phone remotely.
- The Prey anti-theft app can’t be uninstalled that easily.
It’s another great app to track android phone. It has number of features to locate android phone. Lost android phone can easily be tracked using advanced features on where’s my android. It can be downloaded for free from Google play store. Advanced features can be accessed by paying one time free of $4.
Below are some features provided by Where’s my droid app and website:
- It provides GPS location of Android phone on a map.
- You can ring android phone loudly using a custom word.
- Email will be received when SIM card is changed on your phone.
- Text messages can be hidden using a custom word on your android phone. It can be done remotely.
- You can activate flash and click pictures remotely.
- Android phone can be locked and wiped using computer by sending a text.
If you see location unavailable at any point of time then it simply means there is no internet connection on your android phone. Phone is switched off or data connection is off on your set. Wait till internet is connected so that you can track android phone. Where is my phone is really a frustrating problem for many people.
The last resort to find android phone is to report authorities using IMEI number. They can easily track down your phone if its being used by the thief. Contact and lodge an FIR.
The above methods are valid for all brands of Android phones such as Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Oppo, VIVO, Sony, Micromax, Karbonn, One Plus, Google Pixel, Lenovo and many more…
Share the article with your friends who lost their android phone recently.